Southwest Ground "Beef"
Had a hankering for tacos last night so I decided to take advantage of an epiphany that came to me:
How to make a completely plant based (non-weird meat substitutey) version of ground beef taco filling. Don't get me wrong I love a good processed meat substitute here and there...I mean I'm not eating meat so cut me some slack ok? This is a super quick way to help make Taco Tuesday plant based and uber litty.
1 portobello mushroom (gills removed and wiped clean)
1/2 cup of uncooked quinoa
1 cup of water
2 tbsp of vegan worcesteshire sauce
1 tsp of cumin powder
1 tsp of chili powder
2 cloves fresh chopped garlic
1 tsp fresh chopped parsley
pinch of cayenne
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
drizzle of raw honey or agave
1. Preheat your even to 425℉.
2. Mix the worcesteshire, garlic, seasonings, garlic and honey/agave together in a bowl. Toss the cap in the mix making sure it's coated well. Set a tbsp of the marinade aside.
3. Place the mushroom cap on a baking sheet cap side facing down. Drizzle a generous amout of sauce (about a tsp) onto the inside of the cap. Bake for 15-20 min or until nicely carmelized.
4. Bring your water to a boil with the tsp of marinade added. Add in the quinoa. Cook until all the liquid has evaporated and the quinoa is fluffy and no longer cunchy (about 15 min). If the quinoa dries out before being done, add a touch more water during cooking.
5. Chop your cooked mushroom into small dice sized pieces and mix into the cooked quinoa. Season with more salt and pepper to taste. Add it as a filling to your fave taco or quesadilla recipes and enjoy!